Sunday, 8 September 2013

Touching Me....Touching You

When I was younger, my mum and dad used to always refer to me as 'the cuddley one' - they weren't referring to the fact that I had issues with a bit of puppy fat however. Supposedly, of the three of us, I was the one that always wanted to be in physical contact with my parents. As a youngster it was generally my mum, and I have been told that as a toddler I would throw tantrums if I couldn't get close enough to touch her (this seems weird to me now since my mum and I don't really get on and I can happily avoid seeing her for months at a time if at all possible).

It struck me this week that I am still a very tactile person and have a need to be in physical contact with people - my boyfriend often moans at me for being too public with my affection (in a light hearted way of course), but I honestly think that if I had more people I could feel safe being able to touch, I'd always be cuddling people. The problem I have is that the introvert in me doesn't feel at all comfortable hugging or touching people unless I am comfortable with them so I have this strange juxtaposition of a need to touch and a fear of touching.

Now, as I'm sure you all know, once anyone has had a few drinks, their inhibitions will drop and I guess I should consider myself lucky that no one has got angry or tried to take advantage as I do tend to become very touchy feely once I've had a few drinks, but it saddens me that for many people, men in particular, if a woman makes physical contact, they automatically assume that something more intimate will follow. I have a good, male friend who is also fairly tactile so at least I have a go-to safe person, but in all honesty I love a good cuddle, but I love my boyfriend and would never, ever cheat on him or do anything to hurt him because he is just so amazing.

Going back to a time before I met my lovely other half, I think a lot of the behaviour which I regret from my early twenties stems from a desire to have that physical contact I crave.

Something else just occurred to me - whenever I go out with my work friends, I always try to get my boyfriend to join us later in the night and he's generally too busy or has other plans and it's only just come to me why I like him to come out and that's because when he's there, I have someone to cuddle that isn't going to find me weird or isn't going to expect something I'm unwilling to give. Isn't that strange?

Anyway, it's hard work being a tactile introvert as you're left with two conflicting behaviour patterns, but at least having a boyfriend who understands me, I get the best of both worlds!

1 comment:

  1. I only just read this one. You should probably try to get to know more Swedes. One of the things I've noticed about Swedes is that while they're very reserved and a lot of them are quite introverted they are far more open to physical contact than Brits. Friends pretty much always hug as a greeting and again when they part unless something is getting in the way. It seemingly isn't uncommon to hug someone the second or third time you've ever met them. It is perhaps part of the reason why Swedish girls developed a certain reputation abroad.

    ReplyDelete